Financial Support To Players
The Programme is a unique partnership between talented young student-athletes, National Sport Associations, Ministry of Tertiary Education and the Botswana National Sport Commission.
The goal of the Programme is to provide a pathway for talented young sportsmen and sportswomen aged 21 and below, to progress their sports development to world class excellence whilst securing future prosperity through balanced academic and training tertiary education programmes.
Assessments for award of the scholarship will be done on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the BNSC. Athletes should meet the following minimum requirements:
Athletes should be citizens of Botswana under the age of 21 years
Athletes should be admitted by the tertiary institution (to play sport) of their choice but which offers sport.
Athletes should have consistently placed in medal positions (Gold, Silver & Bronze) in National and Regional championships over a minimum period of two (2) preceding consideration for eligibility
The Ministry of Tertiary Education through Department of Tertiary Education Financing supports the programme through awarding of academic scholarships to cater for all education related costs while funds from the BNSC will normally be used for expenses for local and overseas training and competition approved by the BNSC which are not paid by the National Sport Association or any other organisations, such as :
- board and lodging;
- transport or travelling;
- medical services;
- training expenses at approved training courses, clubs or centres; and
- purchase, hire, or transport of equipment.
Current scholarship holders are mentioned below:
Thato Holmes-North Carolina Wesleyan University
Tshepo Mosarwa-North Carolina Wesleyan university
Tshegofatso Tsiang-Cowley College-Kansas
Tsholofelo Tsiang-Barton Community College-Kansas
Thato Faith Madikwe-University of Minnesota
Kao Lenkopane-University of Ozarks
Bonolo Molefhe- Lewis-Clark State University- Idaho
Anele Maplanka- Mckendree University- Illinois
The objectives of the ZAF are to:
1. Assist identified athletes from individual sports with special training programmes to enhance their potential to win medals at major international competitions.
2. Assist identified athletes from individual sports with special training programmes to enhance their potential to win medals at major international competitions
3. The Fund covers preparations for international competitions in respect of approved programmes for identified athletes.